This post is part of the UK Herbarium July blog party hosted this month by Debs Cook at Herbaholics Herbarium
I'm a Leo, this is my time of the year! And I love hot sunshine colours.. they warm and uplift. Bright splashes of bold oranges and yellows about the place declare that it IS summer, whatever the weather has decided to the contary. So I have a sunshine insurance policy .. each year, very very early in the year, I sow my annual seeds. I sow sunflowers, marigolds and nasturtiums.
And then I can settle back and enjoy the unfolding of spring with lush green foliage, beautiful purple and pink and white flowers.. safe in the knowledge that I'll have my hit of sunshine colour, too. Once we get to the lavender and strawberries and last of the roses, then we're getting warmer.. the St John's Wort at midsummer heralds the start of the bright yellow sunshine colours in my herb garden, which I feel is so appropriate for this celebration of the sun. And then more and more yellows seem to start popping out all over.
But I'm a big cheater! I sow dwarf sunflowers stupidly early, in February, so that they are flowering in May, usually. I harden them off in my little growhouse (you know, the sort which is basically a small shelf unit with a sort of pac-a-mac over the top!) and then I've got instant sunshine to pop into the garden. This year, I had a good little display which flowered on an indoors windowsill.. and if I'm not getting to see those outdoors, I have no compunction about cutting them for a jug on the kitchen table.
I got into dwarf sunflowers when I lived in Tottenham and had my roof garden - there was no way I could grow tall ones up there! Bad weather then meant not visiting or seeing the garden at all, as I had to climb a ladder through a hatch up onto the roof which kind of let the water in! That was when I got into the habit of taking a camera with me and snapping the plants on my brief forays to see what was happening up there.. a habit I still have. The best thing about where we live now is that I can see the garden from our living room anytime I want.. I love to stand at the door looking out watching it all in the rain from the comfort of a nice dry house!
Now marigolds I originially sowed to companion plant with tomatoes, and still do. But I just put them everywhere I can find space now, as they are just such a useful plant and such a hit of hot colour. And the more you pick the heads to use them, the more flowers you are rewarded with, it seems. Last year I grew 'Indian Prince' and was deeply satisfied with the really zingy bright orange ... they flowered into November last year, cheering up the onset of autumn and winter, and a pot of last years marigolds which I took out from the tomato planters once they were over gave me amazing huge almost fluorescent orange flowers from April this year.. WOW! Needless to say I put the pot right by the door so's I could see them from indoors.
I've grown nasturtiums the last couple of years, since we were given some seed for one of the marbled leaf varieties and just loved them. Nasturtiums, too, will also go really late into the year. This year I have hanging baskets about the place with a mix of marbled leaf/yellow flowers and dark foliage with deep red flowers. I had known this was an edible plant, but was delighted last year to find I could make a great vinegar with them (thank you, James Wong). I made it really as a catarrh remedy, but it tastes wonderful on salads.
The greatest thing about planting these annuals is sharing the whole growing process with the little'un who, at 3 this year, has had his own garden for the first time. He planted his own marigold and sunflower seeds in February and was able to plant them out into his own little plot and water them and watch them grow and flower. The sunflower and marigold photographs I've used above actually show his plants. And here he is, carefully picking the petals off some marigolds of his own that he grew and contributing them for making infused oil.
7 comments:
Ahhh, summer at last! Isn't it wonderful?
What a lovely warming post. Your little one looks quite the budding herbalist. :)
The dwarf sunflowers sound lovely and 'Indian Prince' is gorgeous isn't it. I don't have any myself but a garden that I work in grows it and I am inspired to get some for next year, it's such a great colour.
I'm a Leo too (wishing you a Happy Birthday coming up). I'm so glad summer has arrived at last! xxx
I loved the colours and vibrancy of this Steph, like Lucinda I'm inspired to try Indian Prince next year in the garden the calendulas I have at the moment are very insipid colourwise and I do like my spalshes of orange. Thanks for sharing :)
Hi madhat!
Thanks, Lucinda .. and many happy returns to you, too :-)
Hi Debs, so glad you liked it! Thanks for doing the party :-)
Hi nice Post written by you guys. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site. Thank a ton for such a nice post.
leo sign
I started using these methods of natural bug control in my organic garden several years ago and I can tell you they really work. I grow my own bug spray ingredients which makes it so much cheaper.
Herbs are just the very best. Im learning so much and though i havnt taken any certificate courses, i feel like i could pass one easily. i treat myself and family and friends and I am over the moon right now. See the resources I used here, https://tinyurl.com/y8cckg8b, https://tinyurl.com/yaxqc7am . absolutely nothing compares to the info the provide
Post a Comment