Thursday, 3 April 2008

Backyard Herbalism

The wonderful Greenwoman has started a series of posts which explore the use of all the wonderful weeds around us under the tag backyard herbalism.

I am itching to join in the fun, though it can be difficult in a 'gritty' urban environment..

When I was out and about this week I saw beautiful great clumps of gorgeous dandelions in full flower on my way up the high road. But I couldn’t pick them .. they were all along the verge by a small green space maintained by the local council and if they hadn’t been sprayed with chemicals by the gardeners then they will definitely have been sprayed by passing dogs (and humans, I’m sad to say). When I got home, though, I looked out some dandelion wisdom from a fab old book of country cures I picked up recently in a charity shop.. this book always has something to make me chuckle, but I'm sure there is innate wisdom in a lot of the practical, cheap and common-sense advice it contains.

For example, the simple statement that 'for many ailments and conditions, all that is really needed is for the body to be well and truly flushed out ... one of the most effective plants for this is the Dandelion, which can be found in most gardens growing as a weed'.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love the dandelion, and it is again something I use. I drink the occasional cup of tea to get rid of fluid (I suffer with water retention on the odd occasion), it is great.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome looking book! Thanks for joining in with my little game. :)

RuthieJ said...

So interesting that you would do this post about dandelions, Steph. I also learned (just last Saturday) that dandelions work as a diuretic and they were one of the ingredients in a wonderful "detox" herbal tea I purchased and enjoy a big mug of before going to bed each night.
I have millions of dandelions growing in my yard, but most people in the US consider them an awful weed and spend thousands of dollars on chemicals to kill them. NOT IN MY BACKYARD!
Once I have a good full bloom of their pretty little sunny faces this spring, I'll post the picture on my blog....you will be amazed!

Dave Coulter said...

I'm reminded of the book title Dandelion Wine! :)

fiona said...

Hi cheryl, its really great to hear how people are using plants and whether they find them effective or not .. that's great!

Thanks for popping in, Michelle .. great to be playing .. I'll post the odd quote from the book occasionally, as its funny and fab :-)

Hey ruthie! That's really interesting about the detox .. I know in England there used to be a really popular drink Dandelion and Burdock, which was based on a spring tonic for cleansing the system, the equivalent of our modern detox.

Great that you're a weedie, too! I must be the only person I know to put a dandelion in a pot in my garden .. look forward to seeing yours, too :-)

Hi Dave!