There are little hides to watch the birds on the old water filter beds and a nice place to have a picnic. Also, they are having a wildlife open day this weekend .. if anyone is interested and in the area, these are the contact details:
The Waterworks nature reserve, Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, London E10 7NU (020-8988 7566). Open daily, 9am-9pm. Entrance free. Nearest tube Walthamstow; nearest railway station, Clapton. Buses 48, 55 and 56 stop outside.
I didn't gather anything, of course, but some of these plants are valuable medicinally and have interesting uses .. and as they are growing wild within 2 miles of home, I like to 'learn' them by watching them grow, seeing what wildlife they attract and looking them up when I get home.
From top:
white deadnettle, red deadnettle, cowslip, speedwell, hawthorn
7 comments:
Lovely hedgewitch. I grow all of these wild flowers in my garden. They are a valuable nectar source for bees, hoverflies and other early insects. Did you know that country children years ago would sip the honey like nectar from white lamium. Apparently it is really sweet. I must try it sometime!
How wonderful for you to have a nature area you can enjoy. I think these areas are so important. And not just the parks which are okay, but a truely natural setting with wildflowers and birds and bees. Enjoy as often as you can!
that's wonderful, cheryl!
the white deadnettle in particular was just alive with activity, particularly large bees climbing inside the little cuplets... they were too quick for me to get a photo though
hi beckie! yes, they really are.. particularly where we live which is decidedly 'gritty' and 'urban', lol!
we are very lucky, though, as we live within walking/short bus hop distance of the Lea Valley canal network and there is also a small Tottenham nature reserve where we go to collect blackberries, elderflowers, nettles, comfrey etc. we try to go as much as we can :-)
Beautiful photos! Say, have you ever been to the Chelsea Physic Garden? (I'm not sure I spelled that right!) The two times I was in the UK I wanted to see it, but I missed out...
Thanks, dave
yes, I went there once for a talk by Penelope Ody, a herbalist I particularly wanted to see
its a fantastic place, but the opening times have been VERY restricted in previous years (I think Wed and Sun afternoons only)
so glad you mentioned it, as I've been meaning to find out about going again this spring (see today's post!)
Excellent!! I like your blog
All my best
Sevgi
http://sevgi-durmaz.blogspot.com/
hello sevgi, and welcome!
you have some stunning photographs on your blog .. thanks for dropping by :-)
Post a Comment