Remember I found lots of baby ladybirds on the clary sage? I was just reading somewhere that each ladybird eats somewhere in the region of 5000 aphids in their year-long life.. a good friend to have in the garden.

But I also saw a report about the invasive Harlequin ladybird on Gardeners' World on Friday night. This newcomer is becoming a threat not only to our native ladybirds but also to other insects, as it eats their grubs. Next time I'm up on the roof I will be making a careful examination to try and see which types I've got .. apparently it can be difficult to tell them apart.
Useful Links:
The Harlequin Ladybird Survey
UK Ladybird Survey
UPDATE:
I just went back and zoomed in on the photo so I could count the spots. I think it is a Harlequin, you know .. decidedly orange and looks like about 17 spots to me. Will have to measure the length next time, as the Harlequin should be significantly larger than the native ones.
3 comments:
What to do, what to do. It looks a bit like a harlequin but not 100 per cent sure. Don't want to stamp on one of ours!!!
Some of the bees came out today, pop over when you have a mo.
Your plants always look so healthy,
Hi Hedgewitch....Tks for dropping by.....Does Mum in Law know that folklore says that if you tell the bees that someone is ill or about the problems you have, the bees sort them out.
Wishing her get well soon wishes from the bees and the countryside.
Hope things improve soon.Please feel free to print the photos for her. If it pleases her it will please me.
thank you, cheryl .. i didn't know that folklore about the bees, how lovely!
Post a Comment