Monday, 14 April 2008

Garden Update

I was excited today, to discover that my mini-growhouse is working!!!

You remember my 3 heritage dwarf beans ? Well here they are in the growhouse, reaching for the sky...

Its had something of an initiation ordeal, as the weekend I assembled it, it got snowed on and then on Friday it had a fairly decent storm to contend with. Spurred on by its success, I've put my Brandywine tomato seedlings in there as well today. And I don't think I've shown you my sunflowers...










I sorted out my coldframe too, today, by removing all the paraphenalia I'd been storing in it and actually clearing some space for plants. Here are the first batch of herb seedlings awaiting transport from the kitchen to the coldframe on the roof..


















... there are dill, borage, clary sage, marigold .. and some sweetpeas, which I adore, and will be a surprise as a friend collected the seed so I've no idea what colour they'll be.

Forgive my over-enthusiasm .. I'm still new to raising plants from seed and so whenever something grows, I'm afraid I'm just an overgrown child jumping about with glee!

13 comments:

beckie said...

Your plants look wonderful. Even after their trials. Thank you for your nice comment. I appreciate it. Roof top gardening mustbe quite a challenge. I'll be anxious to see how it comes along.

Cheryl said...

Hi hedgewitch, wonderwoman here....Plants look great, you should be pleased and jumping around with glee. We nurture and cherish our seeds and when they start to grow, it is always such a thrill.

fiona said...

hello beckie, thanks for stopping by!

it IS a bit of a logistical challenge .. particularly as I have to climb up a ladder through a fairly small hatch to get onto the roof,lol! I have to restrict myself to fairly low and tough plants, as its windy and there is little shelter (though its amazing what they will adapt to). but it has its benefits, including an amazing view over London... and its good for getting away from all the business of the city.

Hi wonderwoman! I love getting that thrill .. and, after all, its nice to have something to get excited about, isn't it??!

Mark said...

Jump away it's great fun, I'm really getting into the seed thing this year.

Michele said...

i just planted my freesia bulbs! hubby wants to grow some natural spices like thyme and stuff, so wish us luck!!

madhat said...

Ohh, now I'm jealous!
I only sowed my veggie seeds at the weekend.
Those beans are big enough to have to be planted out soon. How are you going to keep them frost free?

fiona said...

thanks, mark .. glad its not just me!

hi marilena, hope you enjoy growing things as much as i do .. thyme is a lovely one to grow, the scent is so lovely.. good luck :-)

hey nutty!
that's because you're sensible and I'm an impulsive fool, lol!! someone suggested i pinch them out at the top so they grow bushier. I will keep them in the growhouse as long as possible (I can take the middle shelf out so they have extra height, if need be), then when I plant them out I will probably wrap a plastic sheet round them for a while. I usually do this with my runner beans to give them some protection from the wind to start off with. it would have to be a really hard frost or snow to affect the roof where i am, so i will watch the forecast avidly and get them back under cover if it looks at all dodge.

fortunately i still have plenty of time to plant some more if the first batch come a cropper!

Cheryl said...

Hi Hedgewitch...tks re rosemary....kitchen garden blog very interesting. I loved the way she put it by the fire to keep it warm. Eeeeekk!!!

Think mine will be coming out of pots and going in the ground.

madhat said...

No, no, hedgewitch ... I am starting to think that I am over-cautious this year! Your lovely seedlings are a great inspiration for me! :o)

RuthieJ said...

Those are some good lookin' sprouts you've got there Hedgewitch! I get the same feeling of glee when I'm looking at my sprouts too!

fiona said...

glad it was useful, cheryl :-)

that's very sweet of you, nutty.. I'm sure you're not supposed to plant them till April/May though!

thanks, ruthie! its magical, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I love the random collection of plant pots you've got going there and the beans look great!

fiona said...

thank you, earthwoman :-)
(playing with the pots has been half the fun!)