Saturday, 23 February 2008

Wildlife Gardening



Now that spring is well on the way, and we're all thinking and planning our gardening activities, thought I'd share this link I found today..

http://www.wildaboutgardens.org/Gardening/DoOneThing/

its a list of simple steps to take towards gardening with wildlife in mind .. I'm pleased to be able to report that I am chemical-free, peat-free, I collect rainwater and I recycle!

7 comments:

madhat said...

Great website ... I have bookmarked it for my own use.
I must say that I have never given peat much thought. I don't know if we use it much or not.

I think I will try cutting back on cutting back - I can be rather wild with those secateurs! :o

Apart from that we recycle, have dead wooden features, collect rain water and have a fantastic crowd of worms who make our compost.

My husband built a hedgehog house, which has not yet been inhabited. And a nestbox for bluetits, which was used for the first time last year.
I am trying to persuade him to build nestboxes houses for sparrows too - I love the way they like to live communally in terraces. :o)

fiona said...

hi nutty,

yep, me too with the cutting back..

i used to spend ages 'tidying-up' my plants in the spring, only to discover that leaving the dead stuff actually protects the new shoots as they come through.

ooh, do let us know if you get any hedgehogs in the house!

Cheryl said...

Hi kindred spirit...
I am called a hedgewitch by some of my friends due to the fact that I use my herbs medicinally, and pick fruits and berries from the hedgerows for my table. I am totally at one with nature and never happier than in my garden with the creatures that I love. I was born in London and lived there for the first 19 years of my life in a tiny terraced house with my parents. Will be back to visit again, thank you for visiting my blog.

fiona said...

Lovely to meet you, Cheryl.. I felt right at home on your wonderful blog, too :-)

Jennifer Lommers said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Michele said...

You have a very informative blog with beautiful words and advice. Thank you for dropping by.
Have a wonderful day!
~Michele~

fiona said...

I'm so enjoying being part of the blogging world.. and being inspired by some wonderful people.

Thanks for dropping in Jennifer, Michele :-)