
The issue that springs to mind most quickly for me, of late, is the plight of Tibet and this year's Olympic event in China. And the bigger issue of news blackout and control of the press, generally, which also brings to mind what's happening in Burma at the moment.
A fortnight ago, I walked up the road to my local school and voted in elections for the Mayor of London. My chap didn't win, but my vote was counted and my voice was heard... which is not the case in Zimbabwe.
Yesterday I received a letter from my MP at the House of Commons to whom I had written expressing my concerns about the need to strengthen the climate change bill. It was a standard response, of course, but if everyone sends a letter he will take notice (else he won't get re-elected).
The right to protest, indeed, the right to express an opinion, is something that we in the West take for granted.. while some bloggers run the risk of jail and worse every time they publish a post?
We are complacent about our freedom to vote and protest in this country, and not enough of us get out and do it regularly. When confronted with the enormity of global human rights abuse it feels hard to know how to effect change ... maybe the answer is to make full use of those rights we are so lucky to have!
Visit Amnesty International and take action now.
6 comments:
I could leave you a letter on this topic hedgewitch, but I won't. I agree with all that you say. I have written to MP's on all sorts of issues over the last thirty years. Some have been successful, others sadly have not. I am amazed how many people complain but sit back and do nothing. Then plese don't complain.
We can all find time, if we really want to. The busier you are, the more time you find. As someone once said to me "If you want something done, ask a busy person"
The injustice that is taking place at the moment all over world is a sad reflection of society. I will always campaign and fight for the rights of others. I have seen much sadness on my travels, it brings home to you how lucky we are.
So if you truly care, do something, don't just say you do.
Well done Hedgewitch.....
Excellent post, Hedgewitch. I am so disturbed by the social injustices in the world. Right now I am appalled by the situation in Myanmar/Burma. To think that the government there is restricting aid because of some political reason while people are dying is unconscionable.
As you say, those of us in the West and other countries with freedom of speech and press must remember how fortunate we are and speak up against these injustices.
On a lighter note, glad your internet is up and running again. It's amazing how we have come to depend on so much on technology, isn't it?
Excellent post. We musn't ever take these rights and liberties for granted.
One of my favorite sayings at times like this is:
"If you're not upset you're not paying attention..."
In that light I hope we always remain a little upset.
Thank you, Cheryl .. its true, the amount of injustice being perpetrated daily is a very sad reflection of our society. But if someone stands up to be counted, it draws attention to the wrong instead of allowing it to become 'accepted' or 'ignored' and then there is hope.
Action does speak louder than lip-service.. and these days there are things everyone can easily do, such as voting, email and letter-writing, which contribute even if one is not quite up to chaining oneself to a barricade!
Thank you, Rose.. yes, I think those of us that are free to do so really MUST speak up for those that can't and are suffering abuse. Otherwise we condone their suffering. And I would like to think that someone would care and want to speak up for me, if I were ever in that situation?
I am nothing without my broadband connection, lol! As a one-stop shop for information it is very empowering. But now I want to use it to reach out to others, share resources and help .. I think the internet can be a powerful force for good when used the right way?
Thanks, Dave .. I will remember that saying, its says it all perfectly :-)
Thanks for your thoughts on human rights. As the Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights reminds us, “…recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world.”
Dave Donelson, author of Heart of Diamonds
thanks for visiting, dave :-)
Post a Comment