Tuesday, 4 March 2008

Improvising Incubators

Today I have been sorting through my jumble of handy bits and bobs I've been hoarding in preparation for the great seed-sowing later this week.

I've been keeping plastic food trays, tin foil cat food trays, toilet rolls, eggboxes, yoghurt pots and anything else that looks vaguely serviceable!

I'm even contemplating making flower pots out of the bottom halves of 1litre plastic milk containers.. I'm thinking that the top handle part, upside down, might be brilliant as a watering device for courguettes and squashes in grow bags so that the water gets down to the roots (may be getting carried away, here!)

Have spent a happy hour making individual cloches out of drinks bottles, anyway, and looking forward to getting started.

This link has some great ideas:

Making Recycled Seed Pots

----> GET INVOLVED: Tell me your tips!

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Recycling is so important....I am always trying to think of new ways to use things....I hate to think of anything going into landfill that doesn't have to.

Good post.

Claire said...

my hubbie's the gardener in the family, and he's always cutting up plastic bottles and pots... he uses lines of 6 litre milk jugs filled with water to heat his greenhouse - and the really work :o)

fiona said...

Hi cheryl, I'm getting more and more like that .. its turning into something of a personal challenge, lol!

Hi claire, I'm intrigued about the milk jugs.. how does it work?

Claire said...

basically the water heats up in the day and keeps the greenhouse warm in the night - cool, eh??? you have to have quite a few though!!

madhat said...

Hi Claire

Very clever!
It's basically a very simple form of solar heating ... or so my husband tells me. He works for the National Energy Foundation which promotes renewable energy.

fiona said...

Claire, that's brilliant..

.. so great to be able to do something like that without resorting to techno-wizardry, lol!!

your hubby is clearly a genius :-)

(as is yours, Nutty)

madhat said...

Hi Hedgewitch

You have been tagged!

Rules are:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Would love to see your random facts. :o)
If you don't want to join, please just ignore this post. I won't mind ... honest!

Claire said...

well, my hubbie DOES work for the environment agency... he's very into alternative energy - he should meet your hubbie, nutty knitter :o)

madhat said...

Sounds like our hubbies have a lot in common, Claire. :o)