Saturday, 11 February 2012

Swans

I was just reading this lovely post about swans over at Comfrey Cottages, and it reminded me I took some pictures a while back that I didn't get around to posting.

This is at the boating lake down at the seafront where we live. We go down regularly to feed the ducks in the winter.. there are trillions of them, all sorts, all shapes and colours and sizes. The little'un loves it, because they take the bread straight from his hands... but we also usually see two or three beautiful swans. They glide smoothly along. But suddenly they are there - right there, at your elbow! They will actually try to nose their beak into your coat pocket if you've stashed the bread in there.



















I have to confess this makes me very nervous! As well as being stunningly beautiful, they are big powerful creatures. I think that its only when they are protecting young that the parent birds can be scary, but I want to find out more about them and their behaviours. I like that they often pair for life.


















On this particular day a lovely soft downy juvenile is wandering about with the ducks hoping for bread while a parent seems content just sitting on the grass off to one side keeping an eye.

Monday 13th Feb, UPDATE:-

Many thanks to MadHat for sharing this excellent information about the best nutritious food to feed ducks and swans, as too much bread is not the best thing for them.

2 comments:

Comfrey Cottages said...

Steph, this is amazing that these swan come right up to you and get in your pocket! Amazing! Ours act wild and avoid us. They are so big it would make me a little leery too, but, it certainly is magical! Wow!What a beautiful lake with all those wildfowl! What fun you must have going there! I guess since they are the ones coming up to you in a friendly manner it is just fine! lol! They would just avoid you otherwise! thanks for sharing. Made my day! xo Leslie

madhat said...

I love feeding the ducks and swans too.
I recently read that the best food to feed them are:
Wheat
Barley
Oats
Milo
Birdseed
Grapes (cut in half)
Frozen peas or corn (defrosted)
Earthworms
Chopped lettuce
Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)

We have tried sweetcorn and they love it!

http://birding.about.com/od/birdfeeders/a/whatduckseat.htm