Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Soup Magic

January has not been great... everyone is sick and/or grumpy. But there was a moment of magic today! In my constant effort to not waste food, eat more veg and cook from scratch, etc I knocked up a soup for lunch. I had a slightly wrinkled and unappetising-looking celeriac languishing in the basket of roots, so I looked up a recipe for celeriac soup. I wasn't expecting much - the list of ingredients looked so innocuous, nothing exciting. You know, an onion, a stock cube, a bit of milk.

But it totally rocked!

And so I am reminded of the power of soup to be more than the sum of its ingredients. We had it in giant mugs with crunchy slices of bread toasted under the grill with a drizzle of oil and pinch of thyme. It was full of flavour and it cheered me up and made me feel better about the world and everything in it.

And the little'un dunked his crunchy toast in the soup and scooped it up and yummed it down with great enthusiasm (before falling off his chair while attempting to imitate the washing machine which just went into spin cycle - its OK, I caught him by the ankle - no harm done!)

So there we are .. whatever the problem is, I think the answer is probably soup.


5 comments:

Lucinda said...

Sounds wonderful. I agree that soup, and tea of course, are the cure for most ills. :)
Happy Imbolc for tomorrow!

Comfrey Cottages said...

Yum! Soup is just good any time and practically with just whatever is at hand:) I can just see you making that marvelous ankle catch with your little one! lol! Quick reflexes! Glad you had a nice day with a good meal to perk the spirits up! xx

Hedgewitch said...

Thank you, Lucinda! It doesn't feel much like the start of the spring, with the cold snap we're having, but there are little bulbs poking through in the garden - I always look for them at Imbolc :-)

Hi Leslie, yes you need quick reflexes with my little'un, he's not the sort to sit still for more than two minutes together :-) Love your Imbolc post, just off to check off the links, many thanks!

Comfrey Cottages said...

You are so welcome! I appreciate you letting me know you saw it and liked it! I think it is just an adorable source for children... and we adults, too;-) xxx

Don L.Salgado said...

There is noticeably a bundle to realize about this. I believe you made certain good points in features also.
DishNetwork 145562