Sunday, 9 November 2008

Oak Galls

This morning I stumbled across these photos lying forgotten on my phone since a wonderful late summer walk in the Essex/Suffolk countryside back in August. There were lots of these galls on the oaks we passed, along with lots of healthy looking acorns.





I particularly liked this (slightly blurry!) one, where you can see the tinge of red..



I didn't know anything about oak galls, except that they were used for making ink in medieval times and had a lot of tannin, so I did a bit of reading up and thought other folks might also like to see the links I found. I had no idea that there were so many different types and was glad to discover that the wasps that make them don't pose any real threat to the trees.

Here's what the RHS have to say, here's a picture of a 'Knopper Gall' which seems the closest to my photos (double click to enlarge)

Here are Wikipedia entries on the 'Knopper Gall' in particular and Gall Wasps in general

and here is a link to the British Plant Gall Society with instructions for recording oak gall sitings.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Hedgewitch....how are you? Long time no hear......
Having a lot of oak trees in the garden I have seen many galls......as you say they do not harm the tree and make for some lovely photographs......well done.....

Claire said...

truly, i learn something new every day! very interesting links :o)
i've just had a peek in your etsy shop - and yes, i did succumb...

Dan said...

I recently posted some images of Oak Galls as well that I found near Segovia, Spain. You can see them at this link...

http://tree-species.blogspot.com/2008/11/pyrenean-oak-apple-galls.html

Mimi said...

I came across your site via the Nature Blog Network and I really REALLY like it! It must be good though if the first comment on this post is from dear Cheryl. I will be back!

Sortiarium said...

Wonderful blog!

Hedgewitch said...

Hello all, many thanks for your comments!

Loved your oak gall post, Dan .. hope everyone else enjoys this link too :-)

Crazy Slots said...

Many thanks for the help in this question, now I will know.